If this is your first time with Lightwell and you have 15 minutes, this is a good place to start. See Lightwell highlights in 5 minutes.
- For Macs: Download Lightwell directly to your desktop. You must have Mac OS X El Capitan / Version 10.11 or higher.
- For Chromebooks: Download Lightwell from the Google Play Store.
Start a Free Trial:
Lightwell offers a 2-week free trial of the software for you to see what's possible.
- Start by creating an account:
- Next, click on "Download a Sample Student Project" and select a place to save your example project file.
Lightwell has two main screens for creation and editing.
- Overview - Mainly where you add new scenes and order your existing scenes.
- Scenes - Where you create and edit everything in your scene. Each "scene" is a screen on your app.
Start a New Scene:
We are going to add a new scene from the Overview. Then, click "Edit Scene" to go to the Scene View.
In our new empty scene, we're going to open the Guided Walkthrough on the lower left corner of the screen. Click "Help me build something cool."
After following the guided tutorial and created a scene of your own, let's see some of the student projects created across various subjects.
Exploring Student Projects:
You can get back to all your scenes with the "Scene" icon in the upper right corner.
Lightwell Scene Basics
Scenes in Lightwell have 4 main sections for creation.
- Layers are the building blocks. Each image asset you add to your scene is a separate layer. Layers can be in front or behind other layers, and can be grouped together.
- Interactions are the logic for how the scene works. Every animation or audio has to be triggered by an interaction effect.
- Animations make your layers move. Animations can be grouped and only play when triggered by interactions.
- Audio is made up of sound effects, music or dialogue which are triggered by interactions.
Select layers on the list on the left panel. You'll see the layer selected on the main canvas as well.
Edit layer properties below in Layer Controls.
Drag interaction effects to specific layers to make those layers respond to touch.
Program the logic of how the interaction works in Interaction Controls.
Preview how your scene and interactions work right on your computer!
Click on the Preview icon above the canvas and click the layers that you have applied Interactions to test.
Previewing is also available on mobile iOS devices.
- For iOS: Search for "Lightwell Previewer" in the App Store.
- Make sure both your computer and mobile device are connected to the same Wi-Fi. Preview your project on Lightwell Previewer!
Great! You've seen Lightwell on your own device and played with some example student projects. Now, let's see how you can make it work for you and your students!
Want to learn more?
If you're interested, see which license plan is best for your school and how other teachers are using Lightwell in their classroom.